The Association of Psychologists in Academic Health Centers (APAHC) is Section 8 of Division 12 with the mission to enhance the role of psychology and behavioral science in health care research, clinical care, and the education of medical students, graduate students, pre- and post-doctoral psychology interns, fellows, and resident physicians. Below are several recent updates.
- APA 2014 Convention Programming: Washington, DC: Darrell Kirch, AAMC CEO and President will speak on the role of psychologists in medical education and Dr. Bob Archer, 2012 APAHC award winner, will present on past and future trends of testing in academic health centers.
- 2015 Conference Planning: Atlanta, February 5-7, 2015: Academic Health Centers in the Era of Interprofessionalism: Multifaceted Contributions of Psychology; the conference will also host the ever-popular Boot Camp for Early Career Psychologists in academic health centers. Featured speakers include Drs. Gene D’Angelo, Edward Craighead, and Nadine Kaslow.
- The Diversity and Health Disparities Task Force (lead by Dr. Breland-Noble) has developed a webinar for Early Career Psychologists (FREE) scheduled for June 20, 2014 at 11 am EST: Strategies for Obtaining Research Funding to Address Mental/Behavioral Health Disparities, and have organized resource articles for the APAHC website; APAHC Member, Dr. Ashley Butler will represent Section 8 on the Division 12 Diversity Committee; the Task Force developed a Tip Sheet for Racially Diverse Women Psychology Trainees and Early Career Psychologists
- Conference Call Series for Early Career and Trainee Members of APAHC included Dr. Laura Campbell from Geisinger Health Center in April 2014, presenting: “Is Work-Life Balance Really Possible?
- Journal (Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings) continues online, along with the APAHC Newsletter (Grand Rounds). The most recent newsletter (Spring 2014, Volume 3(2) was a Special Issue on Technology and Psychology with many pertinent articles related to virtual reality assessment, technology assisted interventions, social media, tele-behavioral health interventions, important apps, and the MedEdPORTAL.
- APAHC has developed a publication for sale: Promoting Career Advancement and Promotion Primer
- Two APAHC Representatives routinely attend the AAMC Council of Academic Societies CAS Meeting
- We have a new trainee representative, Laura Daniels, who is working to increase student membership by enhancing benefits, and then sustain membership over time.