I am pleased that you are interested in applying for Fellowship status in Division 12, Clinical Psychology, of APA. I am enclosing the necessary materials.
- 1 Uniform Fellow Application
- 1 Qualification Checklist for Prospective Applicants
- 4 Standard Evaluation Forms
- 4 Fellow Status Evaluation Guides
- 1 Supplementary Guidelines for Attaining Division 12 Status (pink)
(See downloads below)
USUAL APPLICATION PROCEDURE: First, consult the “Background Information on Fellow Status” on the Uniform Fellow Application, and the Qualification Checklist , and the Supplementary Guidelines to review the requirements for APA and Division 12 Fellow status. If you believe you qualify, follow the instructions below:
1. Fill out the Uniform Fellow Application and the Qualification Checklist for Prospective Applicants. Please be sure to mark your refereed publications as requested in item #7 on the application. Submit seven copies of the application, seven copies of the Qualification Checklist, and seven copies of your vita.
2. In addition to the Uniform Fellow Application and Checklist, you are asked to write a statement of your own outlining your contributions to Clinical Psychology. Please submit seven copies of this statement. This is requested so that each candidate has the opportunity to ensure that his or her contributions–some of which may not be nationally visible because of their nature–are presented to the Division.
3. Fill out the top of the Standard Evaluation Forms and the Fellow Status Evaluation Guides and mail to at least three (four is better) individuals, each of whom is a Fellow of APA and at least two of whom are Fellows of Division 12. Be sure to list them on the Uniform Fellow Application. (You can find a list of Fellows of Division 12 and APA in the back of the current APA Membership Register.) Endorsers should mail their letters directly to the Division Central Office. It is important to contact your references and obtain their agreement to act as your sponsors before listing them on the forms. Also, tell them their responses are due by December 1st in order for your application to be considered for the next year.
It is recommended that you send each reference a copy of the enclosed Supplementary Guidelines and encourage them to pay special attention to the instructions printed on the Standard Evaluation Form. It is crucial that references articulate your contributions. ”Contribution” is ambiguous and subjective, but usually it means impact or influence beyond the expected activity of one’s professional career. Publishing articles, serving on committees, providing therapy, and so forth are expected, routine activities of our profession. Influencing the field, colleagues, and society go beyond day-to-day performance of duty and are required for Fellowship status. They must be documented in concrete detail.
Also, please send each sponsor a copy of your self-generated “statement of accomplishments” so that he/she can focus in on the areas that you believe are important in assessing your achievements.
Please contact your references two or three weeks after your initial request to ensure that your application is complete.
Deadline: All materials, including letters of reference, must be in the Division 12 Office by December 1st. Materials received after that date may not be included in this year’s review process.
Applications will be reviewed by Fellows of the Division. If you are not now a Fellow of any division of APA, and if this committee recommends approval, your application will be forwarded to the APA Membership Committee for review. If they approve, you will become a Fellow of APA and Division 12.
OLD FELLOWS: If you are already a Fellow of another division, approval by the Division 12 Committee is sufficient to make you a Fellow of Division 12. To apply, please send seven copies of your vita to the Division 12 Office at the address on the first page. Applicants who are already APA Fellows should send their materials to the Fellows Committee no later than February 15th. In addition, a statement of accomplishments outlining your contributions to Psychotherapy would be helpful. Please be aware also that the Committee may ask for additional information. Mail to:
Chair, Fellow Committee
Society of Clinical Psychology Central Office
PO Box 1082
Niwot, CO 80544-1082
The Fellows Committee looks forward to receiving your materials, and please be assured they will receive careful consideration. Most routine questions can be answered by calling the Division 12 Central Office at (303) 652-3126 or by email at email@example.com. However, I will be happy to answer any additional questions to assist you in applying for Fellowship status and can be reached at 301-384-2505 or email at: firstname.lastname@example.org Remember that the application forms and information must be sent to the Division 12 Office. (Address is shown at the bottom of the first page.)
Carole Rayburn, Ph.D., Chair
Division 12 Fellowship Committee
Qualification Self Checklist
Helpful Information for Endorsers